Saturday, March 25, 2006

Hill Myna

First time this bird appeared right in front of the Ranger's Post at TTW. I was caught unprepared when my colleague shouted at me to get my camera...in my haste, I forgot to switch on my flash so the first shot was as black as the sky at that time. This was the second shot but as usual, forgot to adjust my flash exposure.

I never had any luck with this bird...I remember the last time when I went for my patrol duties along Golflink Boardwalk, I tripped(forgot to mention that am actually skinny but very clumsy!!) and fell, a pair of Hill Mynas were perched on a tree above me and they were "laughing" at me. Why I say that is because they were actually very silent till I fell down and then suddenly, you can hear their loud piercing whistles, screeches, croaks and wheezes. Luckily they were not trained to talk...if not they'll probably go "hahaha.....what a clumsy ranger! How to patrol when don't even know how to walk properly???"

Anyway, if you ever spot this bird, keep your eyes open for another one just behind, above, under or beside it...they are always in pairs and regularly perches in exposed tree-tops. Even if you can't see them, you'll be able to hear them "laughing". My neighbour once had this Hill Myna that was taught to speak & whistle. Whenever he sees a pretty lady, he whistles, when he sees you dress shabbily, he'll say "Goodbye". My mum was one of the "victims" when she appeared one morning in pyjamas & went to say hello to him. My mum swore never to say hello to him again...hahaha(but she still said hello to him every morning)...

No comments: